Research and News
The Mastery English approach has been trialed at St Thomas of Canterbury School during 2014-2015 and has been built over a number of years. The impact on attainment so far has been.
- Significant increase in attainment by the end of Year 2 to significantly above average
- Increased proportions of pupils mastering the curriculum for their year group in every class
- Significant improvement in outcomes on the KS2 Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar national tests
- Improved attitudes to learning throughout the school
- Increase in the number of pupils reading ‘whole texts’ for enjoyment and purpose
- Significant improvement in the quality of pupils’ writing across school
Early indications would suggest that the approach is transferrable to other schools based on feedback from headteachers.
The school is also developing an approach to ‘same day intervention’ which means that any child who is not keeping up with the pace of the learning is taken out that afternoon for additional high quality teaching to ensure that they are ready for the following day. Differentiation is achieved by emphasising a depth of understanding rather than increased coverage. The school has found that more pupils are able to ‘keep up’ rather than catch up.